ezoic-pub-ad-placeholder-135 - 970x90
Go PREMIUM to remove Ads

US registration numbers beginning with A

Posted by Homer on 27 March 2016 - 00:59:52
Local Airport: YCM

Just about every US-registered airliner I've ever seen had a registration number beginning with N. However, I have an old IAWP postcard showing a USAir BAC-111 with registration number A2111J. There's no date, but it looks like the first USAir livery. Airport location is unknown. This is not a mis-reading. I have scanned and enlarged the photo and the number is quite clear. Search here turns up nothing. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Posted by DT on 27 March 2016 - 14:29:34

Hi Jim,

all American registrations always begin with N- (NC in earlier times).

The aircraft you have the picture of must be N2111J (cn 029). Maybe there has been a mispainting but it definitely was the Aircraft: https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/View?Registration=N2111J&DeliveryDate=29.10.79

Dennis

Posted by Homer on 27 March 2016 - 14:50:05
Local Airport: YCM

Thanks Dennis. That was always my understanding too. Must be just a flaw in the printing, as you say. What got me thinking twice was international amateur radio, where prefixes AAA-ALZ are reserved for the USA, although apparently unused (WAA-WZZ and KAA-KZZ are used) except perhaps by the military?

Admin Posted by nighthawk on 28 March 2016 - 20:44:28
Local Airport: CAX

Interesting Homer!

Can you post the picture here, I'd be interested to see it. If you don't know how, email it to me at webmaster@taxiwayalpha.com and I'll post it for you.

Reply To Topic

You need to log in to post a reply to this topic.

<- Back To Forum